I took this recipe from Stupid-Easy Paleo here: http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/05/10/thai-coconut-soup-tom-kha/
I just changed it up a little w/ lite coconut milk, fat-free, low sodium chicken broth. Also, don't stress over using fresh ginger - I used jarred ginger ;)
Serves: Serves 2
- 14 oz (420 ml) can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 cups (475 ml) chicken stock
- 1 lb (454 grams) shrimp or chicken breast
- 1" piece of ginger, peeled and sliced into ⅛" rounds
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fish sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sriracha (omit for Whole30)
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Prepare the shrimp by peeling and deveining if not already done prior to purchase. If using chicken, cut into small chunks.
- In a pot over medium heat, combine the coconut milk, chicken stock and ginger. Bring the liquid to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add the shrimp or chicken, mushrooms, lime juice, fish sauce and sriracha. Simmer until the shrimp (less than 5 min) or the chicken (about 10 minutes) is cooked through.
- Top with fresh chopped cilantro for garnish.